Saturday, May 17, 2014

Brain Movies Aid Learning

     Donna Wilson, co-developer of the M.S. and Ed.S. Brain-Based Teaching degree programs at Nova Southeastern University, feels that creating visual thoughts is essential to learning, understanding and remembering.
Students who learn to visualize what they are learning tend to retain more and also report enjoying learning more. “By creating mental images from the words on a page or screen, we tap into both the verbal and visual-spatial representational systems, making abstract concepts more concrete and thus more meaningful and memorable.” (Wilson, 2014, para. 3) 

     Wilson goes on to explain the importance of teaching students to learn by visualizing.  She recommends that teachers guide students to visualize while reading to teach them to create what Wilson calls “brain movies”. While children are thought to be naturally imaginative, to what degree varies from child to child.  Wilson teaches students to develop this skill by practice and then sharing what they visualized with others.    

     Visualization is a large part of learning.  I have noticed that some individuals are more likely to automatically do this, but it does appear to be something that can be learned.  As a student and a teacher, I have seen different degrees of visualization utilized and have come to the conclusion that students that naturally visualize learn much easier than those that don’t.  One thing I do agree on is that it works.  


Wilson, D. (2014). Brain movies: when readers can picture it, they understand it. Retrieved from:http://www.edutopia.org/blog/brain-movies-visualize-reading-comprehension-donna-wilson

2 comments:

  1. I agree that a huge part of learning is by making these "brain movies" (I love the term - never heard it described like this before!). I would like to find out ways to teach this. We can explain it within our classroom, how to create a movie in your head, but how to teach this concept to students I think is the harder task. You can tell when students are visualizing it. I use this concept a lot in our reading and writing workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I think you are right. Teaching this concept to students may be difficult. It seems to come naturally for some and not for others. I think that guiding the students to visualize and having them practice could help. I still think that many students would have to remind themselves to visualize (or to visualize more elaborately) if it wasn't natural for them to do so.

    ReplyDelete